Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Games Are On


When observing something different or strange about my neighborhood, I often think, “Well, the Games are on. “

Currently Shenzhen is host to the Universiade Games (I tried to put a link here for you, but the internet is not working... again).  From what I can gather, it is like the Olympic Games for university athletes.  Shenzhen is definitely putting its best face forward.  So much so, that it is actually surprising.

The guards at my front gate have been much more attentive lately.  They are never found without the official armband. 

The other day, when I went to the China Merchant’s Bank ATM, the guard in the vestibule was wearing a metal helmet and a bulletproof vest.

Last weekend, during the opening games, there were guards of some type on literally every corner.

There are about half the number of cars on the roads as only cars with a certain sticker can drive on the roads.  The others can only drive on even or odd numbered days.

But the most startling difference is in the environment of our little corner of China.

Because of its location at the base of the Pearl River delta and its proximity to major factories, Shenzhen and Shekou are enveloped by a blanket of smog most of the time. Many veteran Shekouites have commented on the clearness of the skies.  Seeing the starts and moon at night, the sun clearly during the day and the New Territories of Hong Kong across the bay are rare visions to be relished, so I’m told.

“We’ll enjoy this for a few more weeks, then the games will end.”  What does this statement imply? 

“Then the factories will be up to full capacity again.” or “Then they will allow all the cars back on the roads.”


I vow to look out of windows as much as possible and take pictures of the skies.  If for no other reason than to remind me what is there when the smog returns.

No comments:

Post a Comment