Wednesday, August 1, 2012

One-year Anniversary

-->

One year ago today, I disembarked the ferry in Shekou to begin my adventure in China.  What a difference a year makes. 

Swagger is not the right word, but if there is a word that is a smidgen above confidence, I’ve got it. I feel different this time.

This year, when I was quoted an outrageous price for a taxi ride home from the ferry terminal I not only recognized I was being fleeced, but I argued with the driver.  “Too much! 50 RMB?!  Don’t want!” Too much!”  He came down 20 RMB, but even so I knew I was getting taken.  Didn’t fall for that this year. 

I’m more likely to use the Chinese that I know.  I felt quite a lot of pride the other day when I understood the lady at 7-11 asking me if I had one RMB and I said, “I have.”  Really, a big moment for me.  I’ve also added a few new phrases.  “It’s okay.” “Is it okay?” “Here and there” (I learned those during a massage. Contextual learning is so helpful). “I have”, “I don’t have” and “Do you have?” My goal is to take proper lessons this year.  I’m tired of just grunting and mumbling to communicate. 

I am not as hesitant to do things “out in China.”  The western stores around my apartment complex cater to English speakers and so when you go to any of those stores, life is pretty easy.  I will admit, last year I would get huge anxiety when I had to go to stores that probably didn’t have English speaking workers.  This year… not so much.  I went to buy a coffee maker and instead of giving up when I couldn’t find them I actually used my limited Chinese to ask if they had one in storage.  It sounded like this, “Do you have this (point to display model)?” Woman nodding in comprehension of what I said, “Have.” Win.

So one year later, I’ve amassed a lot of random useful and useless information about living in China. 

That is why I was so pleased to welcome my friend Sara to the wonderful world of China.  Sara will be placed as an artist in residence at an international school in Beijing.  After learning a bit about the program, it sounds like an amazing experience. 

Sara arrived in HK on Monday night and will spend the next three days learning about the artist in residence program before moving on to her new home in Beijing.  I think Hong Kong is a nice transition between the United States and ‘Real China.’ 

During my time with Sara, I so enjoyed passing on what knowledge I could.  Our conversations ranged from customary Chinese dining habits to the importance of carrying a small packet of toilet paper with you at all times.  It was also fun watching Sara take in all of her new surroundings.  I remember the first time I saw the lights and neon signs of Kowloon at night and loved reliving it with my new friend.  I just can’t wait to hear her stories of discovery when she gets to her new home city and I hope to learn about life in Beijing from her soon. What adventures she will have!

I have to say; I am really looking forward to this new year of learning more about this country, the language and if I’m honest, myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment