Monday, January 30, 2012

Adventure Andrea- Now with underwater breathing capabilities! (Scuba gear sold separately)

-->
Let me begin by saying Manila is a place I never need to visit again.  Which is unfortunate because the beautiful beachside village of Sabang where I stayed last week was so lovely, I’d return there in a heartbeat.

Sabang is situated a two-hour bus ride and a one and a half hour ferry ride south of Manila. My travel companions, Lindsey and Lindsey, and I chose this place for it’s relative ease of travel.  It just so happens that this village has some of the best scuba diving sites in Southeast Asia. When we discovered this fact, Lindsey looked at me with a slightly devious grin and asked, “So, would you be interested in getting your open water diving certification?” Without taking so much as a half a breath I replied, “Yes. Heck yes.”

I have to admit, I had a bit of a flutter in my tummy as I walked to my first day of “Scuba School.” I was a bit freaked out about the whole breathing underwater thing. When I arrived, I met my classmate Oscar a Mexican currently living in Shanghai, and my instructor, Huw (pronounce Hugh), a soft-spoken and patient Welshman.  We watched a few short videos and then suited up for our first dive. 

Seriously? After watching a few videos I am now qualified to go underwater and breathe?  From this little thingy in my mouth, I just breathe?  Really? After a few minutes of slight panic and holy crap moments, I was swimming around Little La Laguna saying hello to fishes.

Both Lindseys joined me for my first “open water” boat dive.  It was so great to have friends with me for my big moment.  I passed the class with flying colors, model student that I am (of course) and was very tempted to continue on and take the advanced course.  I decided (or more truthfully my wallet decided for me) to pick up that challenge another time.  I did however end up doing a total of six dives during the week, the deepest being 20 meters (65ft.).  I loved every minute of it and am totally hooked.  Luckily, it looks like I’ll be diving during spring break as well.

When talking with a LaRoy, a co-worker’s husband, about spring break travel plans he said, “Krabi.”
I said, “Huh?”
He said, “Krabi.  Diving, hiking, rock climbing…”
“Yes. I want to go to there.  That place. I want to go to that place.” I stammered.


I don’t know why, but being here has revealed a new Andrea… Adventure Andrea.  I mean, I’m not doing crazy things like base jumping or getting a tattoo on a shady Chinese side street, but I sure have experienced some great adventures.  Canyoning, rock climbing, kayaking, hiking the deepest gorge in China, riding in a Jeepney, scuba diving in the South China Sea, eating yak, walking across the street in Shekou…
Which leads me to wonder, where has Adventure Andrea been all these years?  Has she always been lurking just under the surface or does she just not exist in the Midwest? Did China do this to me? 

If so, thank you China…

Now, there’s something you don’t hear often.

No comments:

Post a Comment