Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I Have the Best Friends

-->

“The Big Game” is coming up this weekend and sadly, I will be sleeping or teaching my grade eights for most of the game.  I’ll miss eating myself silly and watching the commercials, but I’m sure I can get my fill of both at a later time.  The cool thing is, I was invited to a Super Bowl party in Kansas City.

I have the best friends.

My friends invite me to events that they know I can’t attend.  My friend Charlie invited me to his birthday party.  My friend Justin invited me to our annual celebration of Nakatomi Friday.  I get weekly invitations from a former workmate inviting me to Friday happy hours. You’d think this would make me gloomy and violently homesick, but it doesn’t.  It makes me feel warm and giddy every time.  I guess it reminds me that I’m not forgotten, yet.

In the fall I was so surprised when my friend Lisa created a “Flat Andrea and Harry” who went to K-state Football games and other great activities.  She even got a Flat Me into the hands of my friends Dave and Lori so I could travel with them to see my friend Donnyves graduate from the Naval Academy.  I even visited friend’s Nick, Sara, and Josie in Washington D.C.  I told my new friends about how cool my friends back at home were.  I was told, “Yeah, that will stop.” Essentially, preparing me for when my friends “move on.” I’m pleased to say, my friends are still as amazing as ever.

Co-workers sent me a Christmas package (even though I didn’t get it until after the New Year… grrrr China Post!).  It was filled with sweet and thoughtful gifts from home.  I was especially pleased to find a copy of People’s Sexiest Men issue.  Bradley Cooper’s seductive smile still sits on my desk at work (under a stack of grading of course). Magazines are super expensive and you can only get British versions in Hong Kong, so this was an particularly special gift that brought out jealousy in many a co-worker.

I love getting to chat with friends via facebook and skype.  Especially when it’s just simple day-to-day conversations.  This past summer I spent many dinners with friends Matthew and Juli and I’ve been lucky enough to continue that tradition on the other side of the world… although I’m eating breakfast while they have dinner. 

I find myself talking about my friends often.  I brag about their amazing achievements, share their sadness, and retell stories of adventure and hilarity.  I’m sure some are sick of hearing me talk about how great my friends are, but I’ve had on more than one occasion a co-worker tell me, “I want to be friends with your friends.”

Yeah, get in line. 

Because my friends are awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment