Friday, February 1, 2013

Observations


Some observations… nothing big.

This week I found a block of Velveeta “cheese” in Hong Kong.  I can’t tell you the last time I saw a block of Velveeta outside of the US.  So, of course, I bought it.  And this week it has taken me down a kamikaze path of poor eating choices. 

When I walk out of the apartment building in the morning, the most interesting thing greets me.  Every “corner” has a little puddle on/by it.  Starting at the door, then the corner column, the first stair, the corner plant, and the corner of the park bench.  I think this may be why I don’t bring Harry; all of the corners are taken. 

I’ve realized that the “hiking” I am doing is really just glorified walking.  The trails are either paved with concrete or paver stones. When the trailhead of your hike is one of the most visited sites in Hong Kong (the Peak) and it ends in a bus station, this is not a hike. 

Boc Choi was a poor purchase.  I never ride my scooter.  He has sat outside of my apartment for at least two months now.  A cat has begun to use the seat as a scratching post.  I have left if unlocked, on purpose, because it would be easier for me if it just gets stolen than have to push it back to the shop and try to sell it. 

The celebrations for Chinese New Year have begun. I actually love (parts) of it.  People are friendly and in a good mood.  Yesterday, a Chinese woman held the door for me.   I wanted to hug her.  I think she must be a Chinese Midwesterner, such good manners!  On the other hand, I held the elevator for the milkman (Yes!  They have fresh milk/yogurt delivery in the mornings! Glass bottles and everything!) and he yelled at me not hold the door. I guess not everyone is feeling the year of the snake. 

Disappointment.  That was my word of the week. I can’t go into specifics, but I just feel like life, work, students and me let myself down this week.  I think I need to work on managing my expectations. Not just my expectations of others, but expectations of myself.  It reminds me a little bit of that SNL skit about the dating service “Lowered Expectations.”  I remember it. It was funny.  YouTube it.  

What saved my sanity this week?  Kid President and Bad Lip Reading.  You’re Welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment