Saturday, February 2, 2013

The Year of the Snake

I've never been much of a fan of New Year's Eve.  Save a rendition of "Midnight Train to Georgia" sung by three of my favorite friends, my New Year's have been less than spectacular.  It always seems to be a let down.  Lots of drinking, resolution making and counting down... to what?  The next day? 

Chinese New Year is something I think I can get into.  Besides the constant firecrackers, it's a really nice holiday.  It's about being with family and giving blessings and good wishes to others, for a new year of prosperity and happiness.  There is so much tradition and decoration. I like it. 

On Friday, we celebrated our Chinese staff at school by the traditional giving of hong bao, or red envelops.  I was so happy to be able to participate this year.  Our Chinese staff are amazing. 

On Saturday, SIS hosted China Day as a celebration of the year of the Snake.  It was a beautiful day (I got sunburned!) and a lovely celebration of our host country.  Below are a few snapshots from the day... before my camera died.


Sugar snakes and dragons for the kids to snack on.

Two of my students enjoying candied strawberries.

This game was an opportunity to hit grade 9 kids in the face with sponges. 

Another game where you throw wet sponges at kids! I love how the student on the left is so zen!

Some of my students running the lantern riddle game. So cool.

This is my TA's baby, Callen.  So cute!

One of the lion heads for the lion dance.
I love the lion dance! 


Yeah, that is two guys leaping through the air at the same time.  And they landed on those tiny platforms. Amazing. One of these guys actually hurt himself at the end of the show.  He had to be helped off the field. 
I've got into the CNY spirit.  One of my student helped me to pick out this door scroll, she thought it would be good for me.   I think translated it's something like, "Let's sweep out the old year and welcome the new year."  Sounds good to me!

Happy Year of the Snake!

No comments:

Post a Comment